Self-care support from your pharmacy

What is self-care?

Self-care is keeping fit, healthy and managing your own medical conditions when you can.

If you have a minor medical condition you don’t need to make an appointment to see your GP, you can go straight to a pharmacy without an appointment. Pharmacists have the knowledge and skills to treat most minor illnesses and can provide a wide range of advice.

You can also buy medicines to help manage your symptoms from a pharmacist. They are trained to spot more serious conditions and refer you to other services if needed. You don’t need an appointment to speak to the pharmacy team.

What if I can’t afford to buy medicine to treat my minor condition?

The new Greater Manchester Minor Ailment Scheme is available at selected community pharmacies across Manchester. The scheme means pharmacies can provide over-the-counter medicines free of charge to people on low income (and their families) who are currently entitled to free prescriptions.

Who can use the Greater Manchester Minor Ailment Scheme?

  • You are registered with a Manchester GP
  • You are named on a current HC2 charges certificate
  • You or your partner receives Income Support, Income based Job seekers Allowance or Income related Employment and Support allowance, or you are a young person under the age of 20 who is dependent on someone receiving these benefits.
  • You receive Universal Credit and entitlement to free prescriptions is stated on the Universal Credit award notice.

The Minor Ailment Scheme is no longer available to people who are entitled to free prescriptions for non-financial reasons.

Conditions which can be treated on the Greater Manchester Minor Ailment Scheme

allergic skin reactioneczemamouth ulcers
allergyfeverpain caused by minor conditions
athlete's foothay fevernappy rash
constipationheadacheoral thrush
dental painhead licesprains and strains
diarrhoeahigh temperaturethreadworm
dry eyesindigestiontoothache
earacheinsect bitestummy upset
ear waxinsect stings

Can I choose the medicine I want on the Minor Ailment Scheme? 

No. When providing advice and treatment under the Minor Ailment Scheme, your pharmacy team will be following national treatment guidance and recommend the most appropriate treatment.