Your local GP practice provides a wide range of health services, including medical advice, vaccinations, examinations and treatment, prescriptions for medicines, referrals to other health services and social services.
Before making an appointment to see your GP, think about what other services might be able to help such as:
- a pharmacy for advice and treatment for minor conditions
- a local minor injury unit or urgent care centre for treatment of strains, sprains and flesh wounds
- NHS 111 or 111.nhs.uk online for if you have an urgent medical problem, but you’re not sure what to do
- or a sexual health service for testing for sexually transmitted infections and contraception advice
You do not have to make an appointment or register for these services.
Patients in Manchester are now able book evening and weekend appointments through the GP Extended Access service. We want to make it easier for you to get an appointment with a GP, practice nurse or other health professional at a time that is most convenient to you.
How can I register with a GP online?
Which days are appointments available?
Through the GP Extended Access service, appointments are available Monday to Friday until 8pm and on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
How do I make an appointment?
In the first instance, contact your GP practice for information about how you can make an appointment.
Will I be able to make an appointment with my own GP?
You will be offered appointments with a GP in your area, though this might not be with your own GP or practice.
GP online services
Did you know you don’t have to wait on the phone to speak to your GP surgery?
By signing up to your practice online you can:
- Book and cancel appointments with your doctor or practice nurse online. Your surgery will choose which appointments can be booked online and you can pick a suitable time and date
- Order repeat prescriptions online. Some patients have found they save money and time as they don’t need to make a special trip to their surgery to order repeat prescriptions
- Look at part of your GP records online from the comfort of your own home
GP online services is free to use and been brought in place to make life easier for you. To find out more, visit the NHS England website.
The NHS App
If you’re a patient at a practice in Manchester you can also use the NHS App to access a range of NHS services on your smartphone or tablet.
The App can be used to:
- book and manage appointments at your GP practice
- order repeat prescriptions for collection at your practice or a pharmacy
- securely view your GP medical record
- register to be an organ donor
- choose how the NHS uses your data