How to prepare for Winter and beyond:
This Winter will be hard because not only will we still be dealing with the Covid pandemic, but there will also be flu and other cold bugs in circulation. In general, we will see more bugs because people are mingling again after long periods of lockdown.
With that in mind, it is even more important for us all to protect ourselves this winter because early evidence shows that there is twice as much chance of people dying if they get Covid and flu at the same time.
To stay safe these are the main things we all need to do:
- Make sure you have had both doses of your Covid vaccine
- Have your booster Covid jab when invited
- Have your flu jab
- And carry on with regular testing
In addition to that, please keep doing all the other key things like:
- Washing hands regularly
- Wearing face coverings when needed (like on public transport)
- Keeping windows open when you are with other people (because Covid is passed on through the air)
- Take any help you need, especially if you need to self-isolate.
Where to get help:
There is a lot of help and support if you do test positive for Covid-19. If you need help with food, medical supplies, or other Covid related issues call 0800 234 6123 (Monday to Friday, 9 am – 5 pm). You can also text 07860 022 876 and get a response by the next working day.
There is a Manchester Covid helpline. This is a free phone number to help with booking Covid vaccination appointments; what to do if someone you live with tests positive; and help on booking a Covid test. The helpline is 0800 840 3858 and is open 7 days a week from 9 am to 5 pm.
Further information about all of the things you can do to keep safe this Winter is available on our Winter Page.