The definition of looked after children (children in care) is found in the Children Act 1989. It refers to children who are in the care of the local authority accommodation under a voluntary arrangement, or who are accommodated by the local authority under compulsory measures decided by a children’s hearing or a court.
Children’s early experiences have a significant impact on their development and future life chances. As a result of these experiences both before, and during care looked after children are four times more likely to suffer with a mental disorder than children who live with their birth parents (NSPCC 2015).
Looked after children include:
- Unaccompanied children seeking asylum
- Children in friends and family placements
- Those children where the agency has authority to place the child for adoption.
This list does not include children that have been permanently adopted or who are on a special guardianship order. Looked after children can reside within a number of settings such as foster homes, residential units, secure units or with their own parents.
Manchester Care and Commissioning Group (CCG) and its Health partners strive to:
- Ensure that the voice of the child is embedded in commissioning and decision making
- Ensure that Looked after Children’s health and emotional wellbeing is integrated in all statutory processes.
- Ensure that young people are prepared for and supported in their transition to permanence or adulthood.
- Support and improve the emotional health and wellbeing of Looked-After Children with particular emphasis on those children placed beyond a reasonable traveling distance for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) LAAC and those children placed in Manchester from other authorities
MHCC Looked After Children Safeguarding Contacts
Designated Nurses for Looked After Children:
Designated Doctor for Looked After Children:
Dr. Brin Ravichandran
Relevant documents and key links:
Manchester City Council State of the City Report 2015
NSPCC website Achieving Emotional Wellbeing for Looked After Children